IMPROVING SCOLIOSIS WORKSHOP–NYC, USA
Fri–Sun, Jul 13–15, 2018
NY LOVES YOGA
140 W 83rd Street
New York, NY 10024
Tel: 212-877-9642 (YOGA)
Friday Jul 13
Day 1: For all participants
- 9:00-10:00 Introductions
- 10:00-11:15 Somatic Basics Movement Class
- 11:30-12:30 Lecture/discussion “Talking about Scoliosis”
- 12:30-1:30 Lunch break
- 1:30-3:00 Scoliosis Specific Movement Class
- 3:15-6:00 Assessment workshop, all participate
Saturday Jul 14
- 9:00-12:30 For Movement teachers, Clinical Practitioners
- Movement Class and workshop on how to’s for teaching the movement.
- 12:30-2:00 Lunch break
- 2:00-6:00 Scoliosis students join the group. Movement teachers and practitioners will collaborate on creating and teaching mini classes for each of the scoliosis students, specific to their issues. We will end the day with some gentle, playful standing and moving explorations, to celebrate our curves and to get creative with and enjoy our new mobility!
Sunday Jul 15
- 9:00-6:00 For Clinical practitioners (and those in training post module 4) Practitioners will observe Laura in three 1 on 1 sessions with scoliosis students to be scheduled. Each session will be followed by Q & A and practice time with your colleagues with Laura as mentor. In addition, if you are sending your own clients to the workshop, you may observe their session with me during the week, with their permission, and we could do some ongoing mentoring based on that.
Laura M Gates is a Certified Hanna Somatic Educator (CHSE) and Clinical Somatic Educator (CCSE) and practitioner based in New York City and Averøy, Norway. As a former professional dancer, she toured internationally with the Lar Lubovitch Dance Co in the 70s and 80s and earned an MFA degree in dance from Bennington College. She brings over 40 years experience as a movement educator to her work and studied kinesthetic anatomy with celebrated master teacher Irene Dowd in NYC. She was certified by both Somatic Systems Institute, Northampton, MA and Novato Institute, CA. She currently assists Martha Peterson, CHSE, director, and the Essential Somatics team, training clinical practitioners and somatic movement teachers internationally. Laura’s own journey with scoliosis has brought her to this excellent work and developing scoliosis specific strategies.
“MIND YOUR BODY”
— LAURA M GATES