SOMATIC SOLUTIONS WORKSHOP: IMPROVING UNEVEN POSTURE, SCOLIOSIS, CHRONIC PAIN–ASHEVILLE, NC, USA
Sat–Sun, Nov 3, 4, 2018
VIOLET OWL WELLNESS
62 Wall Street
Asheville, NC 28801, USA
Friday, Nov 2
Intro Class: Required for newcomers to this work
Saturday, Nov 3
Day 1: For all participants, Groups 1, 2, 3
- 9:00-10:00 Introductions
- 10:00-11:15 Assessment Workshop, all participate, posture photos
- 11:30-12:30 Somatic Basics Movement Class
- 12:30-2:00 Lunch break
- 2:00-3:30 Lecture/Discussion Talking about Scoliosis
- 3:30-4:00 Scoliosis Specific Movement Class
- 4:15-5:00 Standing, gentle, creative movement explorations created from internal landscapes
- 5:00-6:00 Evaluating the day's results, Q and A.
Sunday, Nov 4
Day 2: Group 2, 3 all day. Please note different schedule for group 1, afternoon only.
- 9:00-12:30 For Movement teachers, Clinical Practitioners (group 2, 3 only)
- Movement Class and workshop on how to’s and teaching strategies for some of the movements, strategies for specific issues.
- 12:30-2:00 Lunch break
- 2:00-6:00 Group 1 Scoliosis students join the group. Movement teachers and practitioners will collaborate on creating and teaching mini classes for each of the scoliosis students, specific to their issues. We will explore one additional scoliosis specific movement, and end the day with some gentle, playful standing and moving explorations, to celebrate our curves and to get creative with and enjoy our new mobility!
- 5:30-6:00 Evaluating Results, Discussion, Q and A.
Monday, Nov 5
Group 3 only: Clinical Practitioners/Clinical Students Post-Module 4.
Observation of Laura working with clients, with time following each session for Q&A, practice with colleagues, mentoring.
Laura M Gates is a Certified Hanna Somatic Educator (CHSE) and Clinical Somatic Educator (CCSE) and practitioner based in New York City and Averøy, Norway. As a former professional dancer, she toured internationally with the Lar Lubovitch Dance Co in the 70s and 80s and earned an MFA degree in dance from Bennington College. She brings over 40 years experience as a movement educator to her work and studied kinesthetic anatomy with celebrated master teacher Irene Dowd in NYC. She was certified by both Somatic Systems Institute, Northampton, MA and Novato Institute, CA. She currently assists Martha Peterson, CHSE, director, and the Essential Somatics team, training clinical practitioners and somatic movement teachers internationally. Laura’s own journey with scoliosis has brought her to this excellent work and developing scoliosis specific strategies.
“MIND YOUR BODY”
— LAURA M GATES